need a lawyer?

With all the financial and legal issues that can arise when you lose a spouse/partner, you may find yourself in need of an attorney who is a specialist in a particular area of the law

If you already use the services of a lawyer, he or she may be able to refer you to a colleague. Or you can ask trusted family or friends for referrals.

Here are some other options:

The American Bar Association
The ABA can refer you to an attorney in your area who specializes in dealing with your specific concerns. To search the ABA website, click on “Lawyer Locator” or “Find Legal Help”.

The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (http://www.actec.org/).
From the organization’s online home page, click “Find an ACTEC Fellow” for referral to a probate attorney who is a member in your area. There is a very informative online FAQ page that explains wills, the probate process, estate planning, etc.


Anonymous said...

This is excellent advice. After my husband died, there were so many legal and financial details that needed to be dealt with-I felt very overwhelmed, but I got excellent advice from an estate attorney, an accountant and a financial advisor. Even in the best of families, death can bring out the worst in people, so it is good to have all your ducks in a row. I wanted to make sure my daughter and grandchildren were taken care of-now I have that behind me-one less thing on the "To Do" List.

Laurie and Ruth said...

Thanks for your comment, Deb!